GETTING engaged and looking to buy a diamond ring? Congratulations!
We realise you’ve come across this article because you’re shopping for an engagement ring for someone really special.
We’re also guessing that by now, you’ve probably found all manner of confusing advice – and maybe been scared to death by the prices of rings.
That’s why we, the engagement ring experts, have put together this easy 5-step guide for buying the perfect diamond ring she’ll adore, at a price you’ll love.
1. Figure out the money first
Sounds obvious, right? But you’d be amazed how many people overlook budgeting. In a nutshell, if you’re buying an engagement ring, you’ll want to buy the best one you can afford – but not spend yourself out of house and home.
- Take a good, honest look at your finances.
- Ask your dad or a mate who’s good with money for advice.
- Decide how much you’re prepared to spend.
Even if you have savings or a great salary, you might not want to spend it all in one go. Consider putting down a deposit and financing the rest at 0% interest.
This certified 0.25CT diamond ring in 18K white gold is amazingly affordable – CLICK TO VIEW
2. Gather ALL the facts – and write them down
The next most important thing? Work out the ring size and style! If the ring turns out too small or big, or she hates the way it looks, your big moment will be ruined.
- “Borrow” one of her existing rings and measure it with a Ring Sizer App or take it to a jeweller who’ll measure it for you. You can also order a free ring sizer online, although that takes away the element of surprise. Once you know it, write it down. Ring sizes are incredibly easy to forget.
- Next, work out the ring’s style. Would she prefer yellow gold or a silvery-coloured metal, like white gold or platinum? Platinum is the most expensive, then 18K gold, followed by 9K gold.
- Check which diamond cut she’d prefer. The easiest way is to ask her mum or best friend.
3. Research jewellers
It’s good if you understand diamond basics, like the The Four Cs. However, don’t get too tangled up in the technicalities. Your engagement ring’s first and foremost job is to appeal to the person you’re buying it for!
This is where a reliable jeweller will be able to help you most, so put their expertise to use, rather than trying to become one yourself. They’ll guide you to the right ring that looks stunning, sparkles beautifully and is the best your money can buy.
- Look for a helpful retailer that offers you the most choice within your budget and style.
- Generally speaking, online jewellers have the best prices because they have smaller overheads than high street shops.
- Check hallmarking, British Jewellery Association membership, insured delivery and the length of the ring’s guarantee.
4. Buy THE ring!
Finally, the exciting part! Having narrowed down the budget, ring style and choice of jeweller, shopping will be a breeze.
Don’t take too long to decide, though. Jewellers don’t stock their entire range of rings in every finger size, so it might need to be ordered, set by hand or sized to fit. They’ll also need to send the ring to be hallmarked. This could take from a few days to a number of weeks, depending on how complex the ring’s design is.
So give yourself plenty of time to avoid last minute panic and disappointment!
- Diamond Halo Ring with 0.11CT Centre Stone in 9K White Gold
- Sapphire and Diamond Ring in 9K White Gold
- Platinum Diamond Solitaire with Shoulder Detail
High quality rings like these don’t have to cost the earth – CLICK TO VIEW ALL
5. Plan the occasion
Now that you have your ring, the plot thickens… it’s finally time to plan your proposal! Check out our 101 brilliant proposal ideas for a bit of inspiration.
Write yourself a checklist to get the best ring possible:
Good luck and remember, you can always get in touch with us if you need more advice!
Check out our vast collection of stunning diamond engagement rings in all price ranges. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more engagement ring advice and ideas on jewellery she’ll love.